Friday, October 15, 2010

About a Playhouse

I'm a little playhouse, sized about 8 ft. wide by about 10 ft. long.  Right now I sit in the corner of my owner's backyard, I'm painted a pale pink, but my original color was barn red.  I was given to my two owners, Sara and Julia, on Christmas Day about 22 years ago, and have been played in by two generations.  Originally, along with my barn red color, I had clear Plexiglas windows and a swinging dutch door.  I was a real beauty.  Handcrafted by their older brother Douglas.  

Through the years the girls would play within my walls, sometimes the both of them, other times just one - if I was lucky they would have friends over.  Oh the laughter I heard.  The pure joy of hearing children play, using their imagination to create "life".  My roof got "fixed" so many times that my shingles started to tear off.  My door got so used that it no longer worked and I had no door at all.  My windows slowly got knocked out, either by a BB gun bullet, or just plain wear and tear.  

After "my girls" were older and didn't play in me near as much, I became a "goat shed" for sick goats with pink eye.  My, did I start to stink!  Then one day one of "my girls" came to the rescue and scraped as much of the dirty manure as she could off my floor.  Once again I became a place for children to play.  Now it was the younger generation.  The nieces and nephews of "my girls".  

I spent a bit of time at the household of "my girls" older sister and got played in by her children, this is the place where I got this lovely shade of pink.  Her husband fixed my roof.  But they soon got a bigger playhouse and I wasn't needed anymore.  

So now, here I am back in the hand of one of my original owners.  Will I get painted my beautiful barn red again?  It would be lovely to have a dutch door again ... and new windows!  I long to be played in again.  To hear the laughter of children.  To see them live out "life" in their imaginative ways.  To me, a playhouse, there is no better way to live.  I hope I may see many more generations playing within my walls!


No comments:

Post a Comment